In the modern world, a firewall is a must-have for every computer that can be connected to the internet. The firewall protects you from all sorts of malicious attacks and malware injections. In this article, we will discuss the firewall in detail, including its importance and how it works. Interested? Read on!
What is Firewall?
Firewall is a security system that protects your computer from unauthorized access and attacks. It blocks all the traffic going in and out of your computer, unless it is authorized. a firewall can be software or hardware-based.
Firewall was first introduced in the 1990s, when the internet started to become popular. At that time, firewall was a firewall application. However, later the firewall applications were replaced by hardware devices. Firewall works in different ways – some firewalls block all traffic by default and allow you to add exceptions step-by-step, while other firewalls have preconfigured settings that allow you to access only specific websites or apps.
The latest firewall software from firewall vendors has a firewall within the firewall. In simple words, two different firewall software will be running on your computer. Firstly, there’s the firewall that protects your computer from being hacked and secondly, there is the firewall that controls the traffic from all programs
Advantages of firewall
There are several advantages of using firewall:
– It protects you from unauthorized access and attacks
– It blocks malicious content and websites
– It keeps your computer safe from malware and viruses
– It protects your privacy by hiding your IP address
– It speeds up your browsing by blocking ads and popups
Importance of firewall
Firewall is one of the most important security measures that you can use to protect your computer and data (including financial data). a firewall not only protects your computer from attacks, but also ensures that no unauthorized access or modification can be done to your PC. firewall is especially important for those who use public computers, like the ones available in libraries and internet cafes
How does the firewall work? A firewall works by blocking all traffic (incoming and outgoing) that is traveling between your computer and the internet. firewall blocks all types of incoming traffic, including malicious attacks, viruses, spyware etc. the firewall also blocks outgoing traffic.
– Firewall keeps a track of every program that tries to send data to the web or receive files from outside. a firewall can’t block ads on its own, but it makes sure that ads are displayed as they should. firewall can block ads that were injected by malware or viruses firewall works on the basis of rules
– Firewall identifies traffic according to its nature and rules. firewall has pre-configured rules for various tasks, such as allowing firewall to use only necessary ports, blocking certain types of incoming traffic etc firewall continuously updates its rule list and firewall can adapt to new type of attacks firewall has two modes
– Firewall can either block all traffic or allow through only necessary traffic. A firewall’s blocking mode is known as a firewall’s stealth mode, while its other mode is known as a firewall’s transparent mode. If you are using a firewall for the first time, it might be a bit difficult to configure it at first. a firewall’s stealth mode (which blocks all traffic by default) may cause your computer to act slower. The firewall works in the background and you don’t need to configure it manually.